Getting metal braces used to be a kind of rite of passage if you wanted a straight smile. But it’s one that plenty of people didn’t go through because they didn’t want the metal mouth.
If you made it to adulthood without straightening your teeth, you’re probably even more reluctant to wear braces. You’ve got more important things than a high school dance to worry about now, like big presentations at work.
If you’re an adult with crooked teeth, you’ve got plenty of newer orthodontics options these days that don’t involve metal wires and brackets. Probably the best known is Invisalign, a system that uses a series of clear plastic aligners to straighten your teeth.
For more information on Invisalign, or to visit our Centerville, OH dentist office or one of our other locations for a free Invisalign consultation, call your nearest Stonecreek Dental Care office.
Explaining Invisalign’s Popularity
Introduced about 20 years ago, Invisalign has become popular because the aligners are:
- Discreet. It’s hard for most people to tell you’re even wearing them!
- Removable. You can take Invisalign out when you eat and drink, so you can enjoy your favorite meals without worrying about a tough cleaning job later. You can also take them out for special occasions like a first date or job interview.
- Comfortable. With no wires and brackets, most people find Invisalign more comfortable to wear than braces.
- Convenient. You just change your aligners every couple weeks on the schedule we give you. Though you’ll come to us for periodic checkups, they’ll be less frequent than with braces.
Is Invisalign for You?
The first step in your Invisalign treatment is determining if it is the right orthodontic option for you. We’ll consider several factors, including:
- Your dental issues. Clear aligners can be used to correct mild cases of overbite, underbite, crowded teeth, or gapped teeth. But they may not the best choice for more complicated issues, like moving teeth vertically or rotating canines or premolars.
- Your self-discipline. While removing your clear aligners to eat is a great benefit, taking them out too often will extend your treatment. If you lack the self-discipline to wear them the recommended amount of time, aligners may not be for you.
- Your budget. Clear aligners can cost less than traditional metal braces, depending on treatment length and other factors. We’ll help you determine the cost of Invisalign during your evaluation.
Your Invisalign Treatment
If you decide to move forward with Invisalign, our Centerville, OH dentists will take X-rays, digital impressions, and other information that we send to a special lab. The lab uses this info to make your aligners.
The aligners are incrementally different, based on a treatment plan we’ve created just for you. You’ll change to a new set of aligners every two or so weeks. They’ll gently shift your teeth into place over time.
You’ll check in with us periodically to ensure your orthodontic treatment is going as planned. These checkups typically take place every four to six weeks. Treatment time with clear aligners varies. Average treatment time for adults using clear aligners is about 12 months.
5 Tips for Getting Big Benefits from Invisalign
Here are some tips on getting the maximum value out of Invisalign and other clear aligners.
- Wear Invisalign for the recommended amount of time. You should wear your aligners at least 20 to 22 hours a day. Remove them only to eat or clean your teeth. If you wear them less, you’ll probably lengthen your treatment time.
- Insert your aligners properly. You may want to practice at first by using a mirror when inserting your clear aligners. Don’t bite an aligner into place, as that can damage it.
- Follow our treatment schedule. Wear your clear aligners for the duration we’ve recommended. Don’t “jump ahead” or otherwise modify the schedule.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Take out your aligners before eating or drinking anything but water. Brush your teeth before reinserting them. If you can’t brush, rinse your mouth out and rinse aligners in warm water before putting them back in. Be especially careful with liquids that can stain the aligners, like coffee or wine.
- Don’t use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Using toothpaste to clean your aligners is a bad idea. Toothpaste residue tends to build up on the clear aligners, leaving them dull and yellow over time. Use a mild soap or detergent instead, and rinse well.
Invisalign can be a great orthodontics option for adults. To find out if it’s right for you, call Stonecreek Dental Care for a free consultation. Or use our online form to book a visit to our Centerville, OH dentist office or one of our other Ohio locations.